This module deals with Mediation as a form of alternative dispute resolution. With The introduction of The Arbitration Act 2010, The Mediation Bill which is currently in process and the various Court rules allowing for Mediation, this is an alternative dispute mechanism which every practitioner must become familiar with. This module covers all of the relevant legislation, Court Rule and cases in the area, the types of cases Mediation suits and the rules for running a Mediation in practice.
By the end of this module you will have gained a deeper understanding of:
- What Mediation is
- The different types of Mediation
- What types of cases Mediation is appropriate to
- When to advise your clients in relation to Mediation
- What to do if a Court orders Mediation
- How a Mediation is run
- The background and history of Mediation
- Relevant legislation and Court Rules
- Types of Mediation
- The role of the Mediator
- The Mediation Letter
- The Mediation – Practice and Procedure
- Mediation in The Commercial Court – Rule 56(a), Section 205 & property disputes
- Family Law Mediation – SI 539 0F 2009, Order 19A, Rule 7, Information sessions & parenting plans
- Mediation in Personal Injuries - Civil Liability & Courts Act 2004 Section 15, Statute of limitations under the Mediation Bill, Costs, Section 26 of the Bill – The apology, new jurisdiction of the Court.
- Mediation in Probate & Property -The MUDS Act 2011, Section 117 applications, Landlord and tenant disputes, Section 14 of The Mediation Bill – Boundary disputes, The PRTB.
Discontinued 2016. Please refer to Professional Development CPD for Solicitors, for updates.
Duration & pricing:
- Net-Duration:1 hour
To review current/scheduled booking options, please refer to: 2023 Legal CPD programme
CPD-Philanthropy is a network of distinguished Barristers / Consultant professionals who reduce CPD rates to a minimum, to encourage you/your firm, to make a separate donation directly, to a charity of your choice instead.
Between 2015 and 2022, 4112 Solicitors in conjunction with 838 firms / public bodies, registered their attendance at CPD-Philanthropy training events/activities. Since December 2015, Solicitors pledged support for 220 different charitable projects. We invite you to review more comprehensive information on participating firms/companies, nominated charities and testimonials by clicking the respective link.