The Court of Appeal was established under The Court of Appeal Act 2014 and allows for new procedures in relation to bringing High Court appeals. This lecture introduces participants to the recent legislation and rules which govern The Court of Appeal and deals with the practice and procedures for bringing appeals before the Court.
By the end of the module participants should be able to:
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of The Court of Appeal Act 2014
- Understand what type of cases can be appealed to The CA
- Understand the practice and procedure as prescribed under Order 86 A of The Rules of the Superior Courts
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of the powers of The Court of Appeal
- Demonstrate the difference between appeals to The Supreme Court and The Court of Appeal
- The Court of Appeal Act 2014 / SI. 458 OF 2014
- Types of Cases appearing in the Court of Appeal List
- Composition of The Court of Appeal
- Rules of the Superior Courts – Order 86 A
- Practice Directions
- Powers of the Court to remit or direct a new trial
- Applications for leave to appeal
- Expedited appeals
- Ordinary appeals
- Directions hearings
- Court of Appeal versus Supreme Court appeals
Duration & pricing:
- Net-Duration: 1 hour
To review current/scheduled booking options, please refer to: 2022 Legal CPD programme
CPD-Philanthropy is an independent network of distinguished Barristers/Legal Academics who reduce CPD rates to a minimum, to encourage you/your firm, to make a separate donation directly, to a charity of your choice.
Between 2015 and 2021, 3440 Solicitors in conjunction with 702 firms/public bodies, registered their attendance at CPD-Philanthropy training events/activities. Since December 2015, Solicitors pledged support for 184 different charitable projects. We invite you to review more comprehensive information on participating firms/companies, nominated charities and testimonials by clicking the respective link.