In the past number of years Solicitors have been permitted to sit with clients while they are being interviewed by Gardaí and the Criminal legal aid system has been modified to allow for payments to Solicitor performing this service. This brings Ireland into line with other countries such as the USA & the UK. This one hour lecture seeks to provide some guidance, tips and relevant case law in relation to acting for clients who are being interviewed by Gardaí. The lecture focuses, in particular, on the right to silence and when it should be advised.
- The three basic truths
- The common law principles
- Statutory encroachments
- Consequences of failure to answer certain questions
- Inference provisions
- Advice to clients
- To have a clear understanding of your role as a Solicitor who sits in an interview with a client.
- To be able to explain to a client the concept of self-incrimination.
- To have a clear understanding of the circumstances in which a client should not invoke the right to silence.
- To be able to explain to a client what an inference is and when an inference can be made.
- To have a clear knowledge of the statutory exceptions which exist in relation to the right to silence.
Duration & pricing:
- Net-Duration: 1 hour
To review scheduled booking options, please refer to: 2019 LEGAL CPD programme
CPD-Philanthropy is a network of distinguished Barristers and Consultant Professionals who reduce their fees to a minimum, to support you/your firm, to make a separate, distinct and voluntary donation, directly, to a charity of your choice instead.